Donate Your Books!
Donations – What We Accept and Cannot Accept
Please note: For 2/9 through 2/22, we only can accept 1-2 bags/boxes of donations per donor.
The Bookmark Bookstore needs books that are in good, saleable condition! We welcome your donations every day during our regular store hours. We ask if you have more than 4 boxes, to please call us and talk to a Manager (Sun-Wed, Fri) before bringing them to the store to ensure we have space available to accept them.
If you need other options for donating books, please call the store during open hours (510-444-0473). Staff can provide you with a list of other places that accept donations.
The Bookmark Bookstore accepts most books in very good or better condition which help raise funds for the Oakland Public Library. Please consider this when donating – If you wouldn’t buy it, we can’t sell it! Here’s what sells best at the store:
- Rare, vintage / collectible, brand new, author signed, first editions, classics, popular titles, and esoteric subjects in hardcovers or large soft covers
- Hardcovers, large softcovers, DVDs and CDs (audio and music)
- LPs, in good to excellent condition – Classic Rock, Jazz and Classical categories.
However, there are books / items which we cannot accept, they include:
- Any books in generally less than very-good condition, including underlining and highlighting, and signs of heavy use or
- Out of date medical / legal / travel (2 years or older) / older business, investment or economics books, or topical political books (less than 10 years old on any of these subjects) / computer books (more than 1 year old)
- All Textbooks and encyclopedia sets
- Romance novels, incomplete sets, magazines, comic books
- Cassette tapes or VHS cassettes
We have a small number of volunteers who sort through our donations – please respect their time and recycle these on your own. Thank you!
We are located a block from Ratto’s Delicatessen, Cafe 817 and other eateries located nearby in the Housewives Market. There are many other fine restaurants and shops in the neighborhood.